Monday, March 18, 2013

Gimmie a Break

The last three weeks have been slowly draining the life out of me.

Okay, maybe it's not that dramatic, but it was definitely a test of my mothering skills, patience, and knowing that "this too shall pass". Pastor Husband was training for his new part-time job and the training used full-time hours. Some hours were a normal type of 8-5pm and then some were late into the night. Then there were even a couple of graveyard shifts! I am so thankful for his stamina, hard work, and his knowing that we will get through this and then things will settle.

Today was our first normal day, you could say. Though he did work a graveyard shift last night into this morning. Then the dogs got out so I had to wake him after a few hours. I knew though that I needed to get out of the house without another human being in the car, which included Baby Girl. Now, she has been wonderful. I'm surprised she didn't tell me that she was tired of my face or try to run away herself. We played a lot of "what does the (blank) say", visited thrift stores, went to dinner, ran around the house yelling (all for fun, not at each other), colored, sang songs, danced, and played with kitchenware. We explored every corner of the house.

I feel like an Oprah-show when I say that I needed some "me time". It's that whole hating to show vulnerability thing.

I decided to go get a haircut as Pastor Husband and Baby Girl were napping. I did and I asked for side-swept bangs and I got something between straight across, side-swept bangs. It's different and I just wanted her to stop cutting so I said it was great. I then went to the used bookstore and browsed. After being gone a couple of hours I thought for sure that both of my family members would be awake and entertaining each other. I stopped at Starbucks first for a treat and went home.

They were both still asleep! As I tried to settle down and read some, I heard Baby Girl talking to her crib friends. I got home just in time for her to wake up. The break was over.

Oh well, it was still a couple of good hours of just relaxing as hair stylist took over my hair and it was nice being able to look at almost every book on the shelves without having to constantly glance for the little person next to me. One day she'll enjoy doing this with me and will probably want to sit in the middle of the aisle reading something and I'll join her with my own pile of books. It'll be a lovely way to spend some time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment