Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Wordy Wednesday

My theory is that babies really don't say their first word when they're under the age of one. I think their "words" are really sounds that sound like a word to us. They have no idea that their sounds are the names of things or people or have any meaning. Baby Girl has been saying "dada", "momma", and "wiggle wiggle" for months now, but she doesn't relate those sounds or words to anything. They're just constant sounds that she makes as she goes about her day, cruising from the living room to the hallway, which leads to her room and sometimes she takes a side trip to the bathroom.

I don't know...I could be entirely wrong. Maybe there are babies out there that can comprehend what they are saying. Baby Girl, right now, is just a babble of sounds that warm my heart (when she's not screaming them), that make me laugh (when she "talks" to Pocoyo or her monohead), and that I truly delight in.

What was your baby's first word, babble, onomatopoeia?

No comments:

Post a Comment