Sunday, November 18, 2012

"Making Christmas"

Christmas started early in the Jahn home this year. We decided to decorate yesterday because I usually like to decorate the day after Thanksgiving - keeps me away from the crazies who Black Friday - however, we'll be in Big Bear so of course that meant I needed to do it a week before! The only thing missing in our home is the tree. Hopefully, that will go up before we leave. Don't worry, it's a fake tree. I've grown used to it. I'll just snag some branches from Big Bear before heading down the hill.

Christmas is starting in the church too. We're decorating tomorrow and Tuesday. It's my favorite time for decorations because we kept up the same lights and Christmas trees for our wedding. It's like the church celebrates our anniversary every year.

Today, I decided to continue the festive mood and make my first batch of Christmas cookies. I made pumpkin cookies with brown sugar frosting. I'm pretty proud of these because it is my first time truly creating a recipe! I actually made it up out of my own head. The cookies are from a recipe, but the frosting is my invention. I'll leave you to using your own pumpkin cookie recipe, there are so many out there, but I will lay out the frosting recipe. I hope you enjoy it! I know it is now my favorite frosting!


Here is what you need:
3 1/2 cups Confectioners Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 1/4 Butter
1/4 Evaporated Milk
2 tsp Vanilla

Step One
Melt the butter with the brown sugar. Swish it around so it all mixes well and doesn't burn. You want to keep cooking it until the butter browns a bit. It takes a few minutes.

Step Two
Add the melted butter/brown sugar to the confectioners sugar. Add the evaporated milk and vanilla. Stir until smooth.

That's it! These cookies are probably the prettiest I have ever made so if I ever open my bakery called "Homely Goods" I don't know if they'll fit because they are just too pretty. One day...we shall see.


Linda Eder Christmas Concert - She's my favorite!

Pumpkin Cookies with Brown Sugar Frosting

No comments:

Post a Comment