Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wordy Wednesday

...as in, I'm going to be using a lot of words in this post tonight!

Last night I finally got to use my Christmas present from Pastor Husband. Tickets to Jekyll and Hyde!!! It sort of felt like Valentine's as well because we got dress up, go out, and stay up late. Staying up late doesn't happen often, at least not on purpose, due to the fact that we like to sleep.

It was fun because we haven't been to The Pantages theatre in a while and all of a sudden there is a hotel across the street. It was odd because the lobby/front desk/bar area was decorated in a very Las Vegas-80's-extravagance. We felt a bit sleazy in this swanky place, but decided to stay for appetizers, which were so yummy! Expensive, but very tasty. Then we walked and had dinner at this little Italian place, "Fabiolus Cucina". Just go, you need to go there. Pastor Husband had the gnocchi and I had the Tagliatelle. Mine had a meat sauce, but it didn't taste heavy or oily. It was cooked perfectly.

On to the musical...I've seen Jekyll and Hyde three times. Last night was the fourth. It's been years since the last time and I know it was recently revamped by Frank Wildhorn and it seems like whenever he does this he scrapes a bit more off. The music thins a bit and he'll add a song here, take out a song there. Now, it's good, I would never say it wasn't because I'm not a composer so who am I to say that he doesn't know what he's doing.

Right now, Constantine Maroulis is playing the part of Jekyll and Hyde. This is the second time I've seen him on stage, the first being, "Rock of Ages". That musical suited him perfectly because he's a rocker. J&H, just not so much. They definitely added a more rock vibe to the songs he sang, which made those songs seem out of place to the rest of the music. He performed them well, but it made the songs stand out on their own rather than complementing the others. He also tried to sing with an accent and if The Beatles can sing without an accent so can the rest of the world.

The ladies of J&H - spectacular! If it wasn't for them, the show may have been lost. Deborah Cox (Lucy) and Teal Wicks (Emma) have those classic, big, solid, gut-wrenching voices that I love. Out of all the Lucy's I've seen, Deobrah Cox is the closest to Linda Eder (my favorite singer ever!).

Regardless of the weird rock edge to the musical, it was a great show and one of the best nights we've had together. Pastor Husband never makes me feel like I'm only the mother to his children. He is always so good at loving me as his wife first, which gives me a nice reminder that I am his wife first and mother to Baby Girl and Baby Dos (soon enough!) second.


PS - it occurred to me last night that this song should be played when someone is baptized :)

No comments:

Post a Comment