Sunday, May 18, 2014

"Treasures in Heaven"

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also," (New International Version, Matt. 6.19-21).

Well, moths and vermin did not destroy this place nor is this place actually destroyed; however, what it once was is now part of the past rather than the present. The church where Pastor Husband was the lead pastor has now passed onto another church. The church we were once part of voted to give the building to this other church and the name Pastor Husband and I, along with others, so believed in will be removed.

It's a good thing...a great thing, in fact, because the new church has drive, momentum, and people! The Kingdom of God will continue to thrive. It's not that we didn't try. Our little church tried as we pushed and pulled the few we had up the never-ending, steep, craggy mountain. Although, despite the struggle to push outside of our walls there was much love within those walls. I went through literal life-changing events within those walls and was witness to amazing transformations.

The church, as we knew it, was going to end. We knew it and it was just a matter of time. Then God put us all on different paths and provided us all with blessed miracles.

Now we are living abundantly versus barely surviving. I don't believe Pastor Husband ever stored his treasures in the church, the building, or even in the people. I believe he never lost sight of seeking God's kingdom first. I, on the other hand, was a completely different story. I had to keep reminding myself what ministry was all about - what life's purpose is all about - loving God and loving others.

I am excited for the new church and the stirring it may do within their city. I'm also sad because there were still a few there who have spent their entire life at the old church and now they have a huge change to get through and I just pray they get through it well. I pray they are able to give grace and mercy to the new church because this will be difficult. Change is never easy.

It is amazing...through all this change, I think, for the first time, I was able to detect God's hand rather than saying after the fact, "Oh yeah, I get it now. I see how You did this or that." There were still hard moments, but I don't think I had any doubt interfere. It was just my own personality that got in the way! Yeah...still working on that stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment