Saturday, April 27, 2013

Worship

There are some worship songs out there that are completely cemented in me. They are visceral. They bring me back - as music can do - to my newbie Christian days (even though I still sometimes feel like a n00b at times).

Some songs I will forever hear the voice of the worship leader from my "first" church home. I call it my "first" because I did attend a few other churches growing up, but this church was definitely the first church I could ever call home. It was where I committed my life - heart, body, mind, and soul - to Christ. Anyway, our worship leader, not that his voice was super unique, but it was his voice that taught me Christian music. Popular Christian music of 2007, you could say. I will always remember thinking, "How does everyone know the lyrics? No one is even looking at the screen!". Well, I soon learned that the songs are sort of on repeat as the Sundays go on. That's how...repetition, but in a good way.

There are two songs that will always, always, always bring back to me my "first" (same church here) Pastor's wife. The first First Lady I've known. She was and is a mentor, my mom, my friend, and (though I didn't know at the time) a model for who I hope to be as a Pastor's wife. One song, "Everlasting God", brings back images of her just dancing away. She loves this song! The other song, "How Great is Our God," I can see her signing the song. I don't remember all the signs for the lyrics, but I do remember - though faintly - the sign for the lyric, "The Godhead three in one".

"From the Inside Out" and "We Must Go" has me wonder what next great adventure a lovely friend is going to go on next. She LOVES Jesus in that radical way that sometimes I wish I could outwardly exhibit. She epitomizes those two songs and I always remember watching her worship and being completely swept away by it.

All these songs and more bring back many memories of happiness, tears, a new life, and of people who have come and gone, but they all made huge impacts on who I am today. They have all proven that no, you cannot do life alone. They prove that Jesus puts just the right people in your life to help you grow, cause you to grow, or - even at times - force you to grow. I am so thankful to them and to God for never letting me wander on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment