Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"Sunday's a'coming!"

That was the term Pastor Husband used during a sermon a couple of months ago. When Monday feels like it's going to be forever, trials never seem to have an end, or when stress is the only emotion you've felt for the last month - always remember that "Sunday's a'coming!". Always remember there is hope and there is joy. I thought about this phrase as we entered the new zone in Baby Girl's life. The no-nursing zone!

::Sing Twilight's Zone theme song now::

We started weaning a couple of weeks before the big numero uno birthday and she had her last bit of me about a week ago. It was hard for both of us. Probably physically and emotionally for both of us. The day time was fine, no melt-downs and with napping, snacks, and meals it was actually nice to have some time to do all of it plus play. Pastor Husband and I were worried about the mornings and I was incredibly worried about bedtime.

I know, I know, I know...don't feed your baby to sleep. I've heard it and read it, but it worked for us. And I loved it. I loved that calm, quiet time between us with her sound maker playing the rain and the slow, swirling image of the fishes on the ceiling. I also think that Baby Girl sleeps better with a full tummy...the girl loves to eat so why not fall asleep doing something she loves. Anyway, it worked. She would wake up maybe once during the night with a quick cry and fall right back asleep. I don't feel as if this routine backfired on us at all. Well, maybe, until now...Baby Girl has not enjoyed being put to bed anymore.

"Sunday's a'coming!" and it came for us last night after two nights of no bueno. It's funny because everything you read about babies, especially sleeping topic stuff, it usually says "give it a couple of nights" or a "couple of tries" and it's so true! It wasn't hard when we were first trying to get her to sleep a full night, at least not emotionally, for me. It was emotionally hard, this time around, with trying to get her to sleep by just putting her down in bed, no nursing. To hear her cry was horrible. I felt like I was suffering right along with her. The first night, we both went in to rescue her a couple of times. It was the longest two hours for all three of us. The second night, I think we went in only once to give her her pacifier. She may have cried for about an hour or so. Then last night...Baby Girl had her bottle of warm milk (yeah, she's a princess), we picked up the toys, and then read a couple of books. I told her I loved her, gave her a kiss, and put her down in her crib. She cried a bit, at first, nothing unusual. I turned off the light and closed the door.

It wasn't until about a half hour later that we realized that she wasn't crying. She was quiet. She was sleeping! Sunday came and it was glorious!

Tonight the same has happened, only I started hearing music coming from her room and I realized she turned on one of her glow worm toys. She's so precious!

Moral of the story: "Sunday's a'coming!" Don't give up!

Sometimes I put her to work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment