Monday, July 2, 2012

The Doctor Said

That is the motto for the next month for our family. Please, I request patience from all the experienced moms out there that know not to panic. We're first time parents so when the doctor says "watch", we translate that into "oh my goodness, what are we doing wrong?". That, I believe, was the main focus during the day of the 9-month check-up. Now, I'm so preoccupied with following doctor's orders there is no room for the worry.


Here's the story - Baby Girl weighs as much as she did at her 6-month appointment, which she was actually about 6 1/2 months. So, for about two months she didn't gain an ounce! Or she did gain an ounce and lost it...must be all that secret running around she does while we're sleeping. That was the first "let's watch this for the month".


The second "watch" is for her head. Yes, we have to watch our daughter's head. It's the open part in the front. It's normal for it to still be a "soft spot", but it kind of comes to a point in the front. That is not necessarily normal, but not necessarily abnormal. Also, though it's growing at a good rate, the forehead - which she said may just be genetics - is still protruding a little more than it should at this time. I cannot lie, I completely studied Pastor Husband's forehead to see if Baby Girl is getting this from him.


Scary stuff, to me. Hearing all this just made my heart shake; however, the doctor was filled with a ton of information that she shared with us and any time I gain knowledge about unknown situations I feel a lot better. It makes the situation feel contained rather than out of control. I appreciated all the time she took with us, answering all our questions, and not turning all the "watches" into "alarms".


We go back in a month to see if the weight and head has changed at all. We can't do anything about the head, but we are definitely doing what the doctor said about the weight. The doctor said add protein and just keep feeding the girl until she forgets what she was doing in the first place. We had no idea how much Baby  Girl could eat! Goodness! We've been making baby food like crazy. I enjoy it though especially with my new food processor. I managed to slice my hand while getting it out of the box.


So, that's the gist of it all and, like I said, I'm not worrying about it all now, but I know I will the day we go back to the doctor. Prayers to leave it in God's hands and to not have worry would be very much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment