Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Kitchen Duty

That was my assignment for today. My chalkboard list consisted of: sprinkles, baby food (carrots), fruit salad, jar garlic. And, due to the wonderful presence of Gma (my mommy!), I was able to cross out every single item! It was a long day, which had even Baby Girl wanting to go to sleep around 7pm. I managed to keep her entertained until 7:30, fed her - her eyes rolling to the back of her head - and put her down in her crib, quietly snoozing. Twenty minutes later...she is now hollering for all the world to hear. Pastor Husband hasn't seen her all day so he is going to rock her. The last two nights she has been going to sleep later than usual and waking up earlier than usual. Please, I hope!, she sleeps till her normal 7:30am-ish time for tomorrow.


Back to the list...done, done, and DONE.


The garlic took forever because I don't have two metal bowls to do the fancy trick of peeling garlic. So, it was by hand for me. It wasn't too bad. Nice, repetitive, easy work and I now have garlic cloves ready to be used when needed and my oil is being infused with the tastiness of garlic (thanks Shelby for the idea!). I'm very excited to try out the fruit salad tomorrow morning for a yummy breakfast. The carrots are in the process of freezing into nice ice cube shapes and will be thrown into a freezer bag tomorrow. The sprinkles are being used tomorrow for our last church meeting. I won't be using them because they're going to sprinkle them on top of ice cream - the whole lactose thing stops me - but they were super easy to make so I don't mind. I wish I had bigger granules of sugar, but it's okay. They still look pretty and are just teeny-tiny sprinkles. Try them out!


Here is what you need:
Sugar
Food Coloring
Containers for coloring
Containers for storing




Step One
Clean off your counters - you'll need the room!
Measure how much sugar you want for each color and put the sugar in separate jars, containers, or bags. I used sandwich-sized bags. 

Step Two
Color, color, color - use your food coloring to make the colors you want. Shake them, swish them, squish them to get the color throughout the sugar. Then let them air dry for an hour. I let them dry for two hours using the end of Baby Girl's nap as my timer.
Forest Green, Purple, Watermelon Red, and Teal - all from...

...these four colors. "God must be a painter. Why else would we have so many colors?"

Step Three
The sprinkles will keep for a very long time so place the finished product in appropriate sized (unlike me) containers. Enjoy!
Next time, I'll make more.

No comments:

Post a Comment